Fking new pc

Thanks to impulse purchase and the creator of credit cards, finally I get a new pc for myself, after pondering for many many months.

There is no problem with my old rig, I assembled it to last for 10 years during my overclocking heydays. There is only one "small" problem though. The processor core is slightly outdated to handle number crunching that my new hobby (read: photography) requires. Not to mention the amount of RAM is insufficient to handle ram-(in)sensitive applications like photoshop and lightroom. So that left me with two choices, either upgrade the ram to 2gb or more, or to get an entirely new pc. A new 2gb stick of DDR ram will cost me... I had no idea. RM260? Add 5x that amount and I will be able to get an almost complete new pc. (don't blame me, I'm penny wise, pound foolish)

And so I get a new pc, the specs can make a grown man wept, yeah, really.
Processor: e8400 dual core, 3GHz, 6MB cache, 45nm process.
RAM: 2GB DDR2 800MHz.
HDD: 320GB SATA2 with NCQ(?)
M/B: XFX nForce 630i uATX
Casing: InWin (chapalang) uATX casing.

Okay, for those still following pc trend it's nothing to shout about. But suprisingly I am delighted to know that I could build a pc 100000x more powderful than my old pc for 1/4 the price. Take a look at the mainboard.


Look at the connectors;
HDMI, DVI, VGA, SP/DIF, eSATA, 100channel audio,
and they even have keyboard and mouse connector! Impressive!


The casing: You really need to come to my place to see how small it really is.
Or wait til I'm motivated enough to tidy my room and take a pic.

For me, the most important point of the whole setup is noise, because sometimes, I'd like to shut out all the noise of this mortal world and listen to Diana Krall. This casing is designed for proper heat ventilation, and, it delivers. There's only two fans in the whole casing, one for the power supply and one for processor. During operation, the casing barely emits any noise. The only noise coming out is the rotating HDD platters and disk head accessing data. Impressive!

Who wants my old system, now? :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pro.. the mb layout look familiar... J&W?

gm(another pro)

Fish Tan said...

XFX lah...zzz
they used to build uber cool graphics card, now they just started to move into mainboard business.